Montreal·New
A proposed class-action lawsuit targeting a Quebec producer who sold fake maple syrup has expanded, alleging grocery store chains should have known the product they were selling was bogus.
Proposed lawsuit accuses big chains including Metro, Sobeys and Loblaws of negligence

Gaétan Pouliot · CBC News
· Posted: Aug 19, 2026 3:18 PM EDT | Last Updated: 10 minutes ago
Listen to this article
Estimated 4 minutes
The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.

A proposed class-action lawsuit targeting a Quebec maple syrup producer who sold cans of fake syrup is now adding several major grocery store chains as defendants, alleging they should have done more to ensure the product they were selling was indeed pure maple syrup from Quebec.
“Grocery stores also demonstrated serious negligence, recklessness, carelessness, or indifference, disregarding the trust of their customers, by selling the maple syrup for several years,” law firm Slater Vecchio alleged in legal documents filed earlier this month.
The class-action lawsuit was initially launched against Quebec syrup producer Steve Bourdeau in April after Radio-Canada’s Enquête program revealed Bourdeau had sold cans of syrup to grocery stores that were cut with at least 50 per cent cane sugar, despite being labelled as pure maple syrup.
A request filed earlier this month to amend the lawsuit adds grocery store chains Metro, Sobeys, Loblaws and Epicia Group — which operates Val-Mont grocery stores in Quebec — as defendants.
The lead plaintiff in the case is Maude Fraser-Jodoin, a Quebec consumer who purchased at least four cans of the bogus syrup.

In footage captured by Enquête's hidden cameras, Bourdeau boasted about selling his products at a low price in hundreds of grocery stores in Quebec and Ontario, including in big chains.
He said he sold hundreds of thousands of cans last year alone, and that grocery stores were selling them for as low as $4.99.
The proposed class action is requesting full refunds and $100 in punitive damages for anyone in Canada who purchased a can of Bourdeau’s syrup since April 7, 2023.
The lawsuit suggests hundreds of thousands or maybe even millions of people may be eligible for compensation.
It has yet to be approved by the courts.
Lawsuit says stores should have known syrup was fake
Many grocery stores offered full refunds for cans of Bourdeau’s syrup in the weeks after Enquête's story was broadcast.
But the lawsuit alleges that’s not enough.
“The class action procedure remains the only appropriate procedure to ensure that the members of the proposed group have access to justice,” the lawsuit said, arguing that consumers should be compensated with interest, and are entitled to additional punitive damages.
Fake maple syrup plot thickens: Cans found with label hiding name of implicated company
Quebec producer who sold fake maple syrup isn’t stopping, federation alleges
The lawsuit says grocery store chains knew or should have known Bourdeau’s syrup was bogus because of its low price.
“The grocery stores should have exercised prudence and diligence before offering this ‘pure’ maple syrup for sale at a low price, given the difference in value with other products,” the lawsuit said.
Citing inspection reports from Quebec’s Agriculture Ministry, the lawsuit said Metro was aware of complaints about the quality of Bourdeau’s syrup as early as 2016, and Epicia as early as 2025.
Metro, Sobeys and Epicia have all made legal filings saying they intend to contest the request for a class action. Loblaws has not yet formally responded.
Bourdeau told Enquête in April that he did not modify his syrup, and blamed his suppliers for the issue.
"Maybe we were sent a bad batch. We are going to try to find where it's coming from. I'll do my own investigation," he said.
In June, Health Canada issued a recall notice for all of Bourdeau’s products, citing container integrity defects and spoilage.
Quebec’s Agriculture Ministry is also investigating Bourdeau's operation.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Gaétan Pouliot is a reporter with Radio-Canada's investigative program, Enquête. You can reach him at gaetan.pouliot@radio-canada.ca

1 hour ago
48










English (US) ·
Turkish (TR) ·